This is a research blog hosted by Akira Muto, Ph.D. (Google Scholar, ResearchGate, Publons, Research Map, Youtube, Loop). The contents include published results, technical details and record of trials and errors that could not be included in the publication. I don’t guarantee that the method described here is the best way to achieve it. It is just a record of what I have done.
2021 April 1 – University Research Administrator (URA)/Assistant Professor, Office of Research Support, Toho University School of Medicine
2019 May 1- University Research Administrator (URA), Office of Research Support, Toho University School of Medicine Office of Research Support
2011-2019 Assistant Professor, Division of Molecular and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Genetics. Laboratory of Prof. Koichi Kawakami
2010-2011 Research Fellow, Transdisciplinary Research Integration Center/National Institute of Genetics (NIG). Laboratory of Prof. Koichi Kawakami
2007-2010 Research Fellow, Department of Molecular and Developmental Biology, National Institute of Genetics (NIG) Laboratory of Prof. Koichi Kawakami
2000-2007 Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Physiology, University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). Laboratory of Dr. Herwig Baier
1996-2000 Research Fellow, Exploratory Research for Advanced Technology (ERATO), Japan Science and Technology Corporation (JST), Tokyo, Japan Laboratory of Dr. Katsuhiko Mikoshiba
1995 Research Fellow, RIKEN, Tokyo, Japan. Laboratory of Dr. Katsuhiko Mikoshiba
1990 B.S. Biology, University of Tokyo (Japan). Advisor: Dr. Kazuo Sutoh
1992 M.S. Biology, Osaka University (Japan). Advisor: Dr. Katsuhiko Mikoshiba
1995 Ph.D. Biology, Osaka University (Japan). Advisor: Dr. Katsuhiko Mikoshiba
- Muto A, Lal P, Ailani D, Abe G, Itoh M and Kawakami K. Activation of the hypothalamic feeding centre upon visual prey detection. Nat Commun 8, Article number: 15029 (2017). doi:10.1038/ncomms15029
- Muto A, Taylor MR, Suzawa M, Korenbrot JI, Baier H. (2013). Glucocorticoid receptor activity regulates light adaptation in the zebrafish retina. Frontiers in Neural Circuits 7:145 doi: 10.3389/fncir.2013.00145
- Muto A, Ohkura M, Abe G, Nakai J, Kawakami K. (2013). Real-Time Visualization of Neuronal Activity during Perception. Current Biology 23(4):307-11 doi:10.1016/j.cub.2012.12.040
- Ziv L, Muto A, Schoonheim P, Meijsing S, Strasser D, Ingraham H, Schaaf M, Yamamoto K, Baier H. (2012). An affective disorder in zebrafish with mutation of the glucocorticoid receptor. Molecular Psychiatry 2012 May 29. doi:10.1038/mp.2012.64
- Muto A, Ohkura M, Kotani T, Higashijima S, Nakai J, Kawakami K. (2011). Genetic visualization with an improved GCaMP calcium indicator reveals spatiotemporal activation of the spinal motor neurons in zebrafish. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA). 108:54259. doi:10.1073/pnas.1000887108
- Sumbre G, Muto A, Baier H, Poo M. (2008). Entrained rhythmic activities of neuronal ensembles as perceptual memory of time interval. Nature 456:102-106. doi:10.1038/nature07351
- Muto A, Orger MB, Wehman AM, Smear MC, Kay JN, Page-McCaw PS, Gahtan E, Xiao T, Nevin LM, Gosse NJ and Baier H. (2005). Forward genetic analysis of visual behavior in zebrafish. PLoS Genetics 1:e66. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.0010066
- Page-McCaw PS, Chung SC, Muto A, Roeser T, Staub W, Finger-Baier KC, Korenbrot JI, Baier H. (2004). Retinal network adaptation to bright light requires tyrosinase. Nat Neurosci 7:1329-1336. doi:10.1038/nn1344
- Muto A, Mikoshiba K. (1998). Activation of inositol 1, 4, 5‐trisphosphate receptors induces transient changes in cell shape of fertilized Xenopus eggs. Cell Motility and the Cytoskeleton 39:201-208.
- Kume S, Muto A, Inoue T, Suga K, Okano H, Mikoshiba K. (1997). Role of inositol 1, 4, 5-trisphosphate receptor in ventral signaling in Xenopus embryos. Science 278:1940-1943. doi: 10.1126/science.278.5345.1940
- Muto A, Kume S, Inoue T, Okano H, Mikoshiba K (1996). Calcium waves along the cleavage furrows in cleavage-stage Xenopus embryos and its inhibition by heparin. J Cell Biol 135:181-190.
- Kume S, Muto A, Aruga J, Nakagawa T, Michikawa T, Furuichi T, Nakade S, Okano H, Mikoshiba K (1993). The Xenopus IP3 receptor: Structure, function, and localization in oocytes and eggs. Cell 73:555-570. doi:10.1016/0092-8674(93)90142-D